Wednesday, July 10, 2013

life is full of surprises!!!

life is full of surprises!!!

My Best Friend                    -by Pema Choidar

She studies in Pune, India. I’d just started working when we first met. Now we are as one; nothing stands between us.

“Hello, Pema, it’s tea-time!” my colleague Choden suggests. “I know,” I join her to a canteen nearby.

“So, how is she in Pune?

“Fine, I just called her last night.”

“She must be missing you.”

“Yes, but she has lots of friends.”

Our conversation drifts from one thing to another. Just before heading back to work, she invites me to her place for dinner. And so, we became friends. She reminds me a lot of my beloved Kesang, may be because she always asks about her.

I called Kesang later.

“Guess what?” I said. “I’ve got a new best friend.”

“You, what?”

I knew she heard me the first time but I repeated what I’d said. She didn’t seem too happy to hear my news and cut me off mid-conversation. I had so much to say.

Something changed between us. Later I came to know that her friends called her to say that I was flirting with another girl. Kesang burned with rage, suspicion and hatred for my best friend.

Back in the office, Choden tells me that she’s going to marry the love of her life. I offer my congratulations and wish her happiness.

“Will you miss me after I’m married?” she asks.

“Will you?” I reply.

She nods and so do I.

One night Choden decides to call Kesang.

“Hi! I’m Choden, how are you?”

“Um- I’m fine,” replies Kesang, somewhat nonplussed.

“I guess Pema told you about us, didn’t he?

“Yeah, happy to know you,” Kesang made an effort to sound friendly.

“Then, why don’t you come for my wedding, on Sunday?”

“Thanks. I’ll try.”

“I’ve a surprise for you…,” but Kesang had hung up before Choden completed.

Kesang felt shocked out of her wits. Her final exams were in a week’s time. Back home, the love of her life was tying the knot. Life was unfair!  She felt the enormous weight of despair on her frail shoulders. Her friends found her in tears and persuaded her to forget it.

 “There are plenty of fishes in the sea,” they said.

Kesang herself had rejected many a young man and now she regretted a few. Yet still she had hope for she knew her man so well.

I tried to call her and wish her the best for her coming exams but couldn’t get through. Even her best friends denied access. That’s what friends are for! I guess, they were trying to break us apart.

Kesang decided not to write her papers and head straight home. Her friends tried to dissuade her. “I just wish to give them khadar (scarf),” she said. She left for Bhutan and looked quite sick when she got home.

Sunday: at the wedding ceremony, everyone was all smiles. She joined the queue to offer ‘khadar’ and by the time she reached the couple, her eyes were wet with tears. And them-Surprise! Surprise!

-Dedicated to all the lovers.

-Published in Bhutan’s National Newspaper ‘KUENSEL’ on August, 16, 2008

Reproduced for Knowledge Management Course, M.Ed (Management), Mahidol University.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I dont like Kesang much, she seems doesnt care to someone she likes. And she cares for her friends only, it is better for her to be alone, I think. :P
    ReplyDelete
  2. Fon, does such story happen in Bangkok?
    ReplyDelete
  3. Fon, does such story happen in Bangkok?

1 comment: